How Do I access Audio over Remote Desktop¶
If you would like to play audio from a windows server or record from your local computer you need to have somethings to setup, This article will guide you to enable redirection of audio via Remote Desktop client.
Windows Audio Service¶
Please verify the Windows Audio Service is enabled and set to automatic. Please ensure you are logged in as Administrator, so that the settings will be applicable for all other users.
Please refer following steps: 1. Open Run by pressing Windows+R. Or Right click on Start and select Run. Type “services.msc” and press OK.
- Scroll down to bottom, till you will see “Windows Audio” service, Double click on it.
- Set the startup type to automatic and start the service.
Windows Group Policy¶
Also we have to check on the following settings under windows group policy:
- Open Run by pressing Windows+R. Or Right click on Start and select Run. Type “services.msc” and press OK.
- Open Computer Configuration >> Administrative Templates >> Windows Components >> Remote Desktop Services >> Remote Desktop Session Host >> Device and Resource Redirection. Double click on “Allow audio and video playback redirection”.
- Now select Enabled and press OK.
Windows RD Client¶
- Open Run by pressing Windows+R. Or Right click on Start and select Run. Type “mstsc” and press OK.
- Select “Show Options”.
- Select “Local Resources” tab and click on “Settings” under the “Remote Audio” Section.
- Now set as shown below and press “OK”:
- Now select “Connect”
For apple devices Microsoft Remote Desktop is available in the app store. Reference URL:
Once you have installed, grant necessary permissions.
Under PCs tab,select Add PC:
After entering the IP address you can find the options for audio under - “Devices & Audio”
Select “Microphone” and other options whichever required. Also set “Play sound” as “On this computer”.
Once you connect to the server you will be able to play audio from the remote server.
In the right hand side of the taskbar, right click on the volume icon and select sounds.
Switch to playback tab, you should see “Remote Audio”. If you are unable to see it, you should recheck the settings under Remote Desktop in your local computer.
Now right click on “Remote Audio” and select “Test”.
If you hear the sound you are good to go.
Similarly you can also test the microphone with the green bars which are getting displayed on the right.